We all want to have flawless make up but we don’t always have the time to contour and add every single bit of intricate detail that is required to look ‘selfie’ ready – especially when we’re getting ready for the school run, or brunch date.
I don’t know about you, but I always feel slightly uncomfortable when it looks like I’m wearing a lot of make up during the day – I aways like to go for the ‘oh you look so flawless make up free’ look when actually I am wearing make up.
Modelling agencies and casting directors always ask to see models looking natural, which can be really daunting when you’re having a bad skin day or had a bad nights sleep. Both very common with two kids under 5! Luckily, I’ve had plenty of experience perfecting the natural make up look over the years so here are my top tips…
- Before you apply any make up – you should have a winter skin care routine so you apply make up to the cleanest, freshest skin.. makes all the difference. I’ve been using Avon and you can see my routine here
- Always always apply make up in natural light – please don’t try putting make up on in a badly lit bathroom. As soon as you step outside, what you thought you looked like in the mirror actually doesn’t look like that at all. No one wants to look like a clown!
- For a base, I absolutely swear by By Terry’s Cover Expert foundation – It’s so light, yet has great coverage. Perfect and very quick to apply for the school run and leaves your skin looking clear and even.
- After foundation, I move onto the concealer for under my eyes and under my nose (this gets a little pink in the winter months) and also on any red blemishes. I use By Terry Touche Veloutee it’s a multi-purpose perfecting concealer brush designed to camouflage and disguise, while plumping and boosting. Bravo!
- Now, my favourite part, the powder and blush combo. I’ve been using an amazing makeup pallet by Charlotte Tilbury called INSTANT LOOK IN A PALETTE . Not only are the colours and finish fab, but each colour tells you where to apply it to your face, whether it’s all over bronzer or a highlighter. ‘5 minute face on the go beauty glow’ and it does exactly this. Radiance at the ready!
- Using the same Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette, I use the eye shadow named ‘eye brighten’ (top left one) – ‘A youthful brightening eye shadow in a colour correcting , brightening pale rose hue to prime the surface of the eyelid for an all-day application’… It makes my eyes pop and makes me look a little more school run/casting ready!
- I’ve mentioned this tip before in a previous blog post called ‘For Your Eyes Only’, but I like to use a natural eye liner in my make up routine… For that big, super-bright gaze or masking sleepless nights, swipe nude liner on the fleshy inner rim of the eyes (the waterline). The nude colour will camouflage any pinkness that we all get from a bad night sleep and make your eyes look bigger and brighter. I’ve been using Rimmell London Scandaleyes and for £3.99 it’s an absolute bargain and no brainer to give a go!
- Mascara just needs to be softly swept across your lashes – nothing too heavy or clumpy. I’ve been using one from Arbonne for a while now and have always loved it.
- Vaseline or Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream on the lips – natural, sexy, subtle.
- If you have a little shine (I love shine as it screams ‘I’M HEALTHY’) but should you want to tone it down slightly, I use Laura Mercier Perfecting Powder
And that’s it! Very simple, very effective and very flawless. Once you get this perfected, it’ll take you a matter of minutes to look like a mama who has still got it.
Thanks for reading and see you next week!